Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Email from Aramark

More than a month ago I sent Aramark an email reminding them that their website claims ingredient transparency.

Upon request, we share with customers all ingredients that go into our final product.

I suggested that they may have possibly been confused, as I had obviously been attempting to get cafeteria food ingredients for a long time.

Last night they emailed me back. Here is what they have to say.

-- We appreciate your patience as we reviewed this issue further.  
 
The information you cited and extracted from our corporate website relates to customers with documented food allergies. 
 
Nutritional information for the food served in D300’s Food Service Program is readily available on the D300 food service website using the Nutritional Calculator.  This allows students and parents to monitor the nutritional content of D300’s school meals, which exceed State and USDA nutritional requirements. 
The D300 proprietary menu database includes hundreds of recipes containing thousands of ingredients.  Currently, there is not a means for specific ingredient lists to be accessed electronically.  Ingredient lists for specific items prepared in the D300 Food Service Program can be compiled manually to assist parents of student customers with documented food allergies. 
 
We have not received, from you or your parents, any information relating to a food allergy and you do not appear to be a customer of the D300 Food Service Program.  If you do, in fact, have a documented food allergy, then our School Food Service Director will be happy to speak with you and/or your parents to assist you in selecting menu items that meet your dietary needs. 
There are so few things in this world really deserving of the term bullshit. This is one of those things.

The information you cited and extracted from our corporate website relates to customers with documented food allergies. 
Really? Because it doesn't say that. And usually when things aren't said, we can assume that they don't apply. I usually feel safe eating veggie burgers in restaurants because I make the reasonable assumption that a restaurant would not be stupid enough to put meat on it.

With that said, I know now not eat a veggie burger produced by Aramark.

And another thing: what exactly defines an allergy? Does meat have to make me sick in order to have the right to opt out of it? And if getting sick from it IS the definition of an "allergy", then how fast does it have to happen? I mean, studies have shown that partially-hydrogenated oils have far more detrimental effects to your health than natural oils. Does that mean that everyone is allergic?

Nutritional information for the food served in D300’s Food Service Program is readily available on the D300 food service website using the Nutritional Calculator.  
Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of iron?

This allows students and parents to monitor the nutritional content of D300’s school meals,
 No actually it doesn't, as I have just clearly proved with my very clever feathers to iron analogy.

which exceed State and USDA nutritional requirements.
The USDA also says that onion rings and french fries count as vegetables.

The D300 proprietary menu database includes hundreds of recipes containing thousands of ingredients.  Currently, there is not a means for specific ingredient lists to be accessed electronically.  Ingredient lists for specific items prepared in the D300 Food Service Program can be compiled manually to assist parents of student customers with documented food allergies. 
 Alright... so you don't know, and you don't want to go through the effort of finding out? Unless I'm sick?  There's that western  mentality again- I have to be sick before I should start taking care of myself.

We have not received, from you or your parents, any information relating to a food allergy and you do not appear to be a customer of the D300 Food Service Program.  If you do, in fact, have a documented food allergy, then our School Food Service Director will be happy to speak with you and/or your parents to assist you in selecting menu items that meet your dietary needs.  

I became a customer when I started paying federal, state and local taxes. I was even a customer when I stopped making cafeteria food purchases due to Aramark's refusal to present me with information that I believe is vital to my health and the health of my peers.

And today, to make things really simple for you, I was a customer when I purchased something and gave it away.

I supported you.

Now it's time for you to support me, and anyone else who wishes to take intelligent care of their body.

It's time for you to assist the parents who want to see their children to grow up strong and healthy.

It's time for you to help to end childhood obesity in America.

It's time for you to live to your word.

5 comments:

  1. Escalte the letter writing campaign Tara.

    After the CEO, the Better Business Bureau (that usually get's their attention), State AG's of IL and PA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to type "escalate" not escalte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope someone from the Let's Move campaign has been reading you blog! This is an issue that is very important. As for food allergies? I am gluten intolerant. I discovered it on my own and would have to go back to eating gluten for three months to get an official diagnosis. No thanks! So people like me who do not have documentation also seem to be out of luck. I think if one company starts to do it right then the others will follow. The problem is school districts get locked in to one place and it is a lot of effort to switch. Many just don't want to deal with the hassle.

    Good luck Tara! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this--
    http://www.tasb.org/policy/pol/private/101912/pol.cfm?DisplayPage=FFA(LOCAL).pdf&QueryText=WELLNESS.

    still lacking ingredients, but it's the only place i could find nutritional value, and they're from the "alternate" menu of one district.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While cited as a flaw, the lead author of the study, Professor Jim Stevenson noted that looking at the mixture of additives was important as it mimicked the consumption of these chemicals by children in real life. Click Here to Visit

    ReplyDelete