Saturday, April 17, 2010

An unexciting, but still note-worthy update

It's been a while since I've posted, and for anyone who is curious- I am still alive.

Today was an exciting day for me. Last year at school I spent a good bit of time trying to get our overgrown courtyard transformed into a garden. Finally today, with the help of many others, I saw that idea come true! We are going to be planting flowers and trees and bushes to make the area a nice place to enjoy the outdoors, as well as will be planting vegetables to be grown organically. Very exciting. I offer my assistance to any students out there who would like to see any similar projects happen at their own schools. On that note, I will end this blog with a few pictures from today.

Now as far as ingredient transparency goes, I've been reaching out to newspapers lately in hopes that someone will find the withholding of school food ingredients to be as ridiculous as I do. So far my blog has been mentioned in the Chicago Tribune, but ingredient transparency has not gotten the illumination yet that I've been hoping for. Hopefully soon! I'm just going to keep on telling whoever I can about what's going on. Feel free to email me with any suggestions on how to get ingredient transparency some public attention. <3

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome, the work that you did at your school today! Very few students would be willing to go to their school on a Saturday, much less do hard work, to improve the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of sweat equity and love gloing into that garden.

    Glad that your are alive and well. And now very tired would be my guess. *S*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara,
    Do you have a university in your town? Or a local paper? Write a piece for submission.

    Have you had the opportunity to attend any school board meetings? Bring a group of interested students and parents to the next meeting. Hape shoret, prepared statements to read during the open portion of the meeting.

    Write to the superintendent of schools. Include as many signatures ass possible (students and parents).

    Finally, send letters and commentary to the editors of all the regional papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that you bring up the school board and superintendent, because I have actually done a presentation at my school board and have been in contact with my district's associate superintendent about this issue. He has stopped responding to my emails for whatever reason. Probably another conflict of interest that they have decided I don't need to be informed about. I've been sending letters to local newspapers as well, and have received minimal response.

    I would try to speak at another school board meeting, but honestly at this time I don't think my school board can take on something such as ingredient transparency. They are in debt due to lack of promised money from the state, and Aramark is currently the cheapest food provider they have access to. To challenge Aramark would be to challenge the jobs of teachers and staff if they chose not to sign with us again next year due to our problems with the way they run things.

    It's really a tough situation. I was hoping more local newspapers would want to cover the need for ingredient transparency but I was sadly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You graduate very soon. My guess is the superintendent is just waiting it out along with Aramark.

    ReplyDelete